Sunday, January 14, 2007

Soldiers Deserve Music

Spellbox (Mysti Mayhem & Mandocello) wanted to do something for our boys and girls in Iraq.

So we went to MySpace and did a search for Iraq and began contacting the soldiers stationed over there that also had MySpace pages.

We sent them all the same letter, asking if they'd like to hear some music from home.

We sent out a lot of messages. But we recieved 194 affirmatives.

So we stuffed 194 padded envelopes with all our CDs, stickers, DVDs, and included a little plastic/rubber dinosaur for good measure.

We went to the post office and mailed said packages to the APOs provided.

Yea, we spent some money on postage and product, but we were rewarded with over 100 emails in the coming weeks, such as the ones below:
A Postcard sent from one of our American Soldiers:


"Mysti,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I got moved to a differeny place So now I only have access to the internet once a month. I got your CDs on the perfict day. It was a really bad few days. We had been out for 3 days. We had lost 2 guys. When we got back I went and laid down on my cot and mt platoon sergeant walked up to me and handed me your package. Mysti, You have an awesome voice. It was nice to be able to get away freom all that had happened. Een if it was just for a short time. It is amazing what music can do for ones soul. I really enjoyed Annebella. Thank you very much. I hope all is well with you.

Sincerly,
A big fan

Rick"


"wow i have been listening to the cds you sent you guys are very good i was expecting some garage band star search hopefulls and given my classical violin and guitar and voice training i am very hyper critical even if i cant spell and your gift of music is a needed escape i am very suprised an pleased and thankfull for it i have already started spreading the word and letting people copy some of it i hope that is ok? you have two more fans already today just wait till tommorow and im shure when i get home i will spread the joy exponentually ok i can not spell and one of my guys brought me a bottle of tequlla so that doesnt help your voice reminds me of 4 non blonds with its power and judy collins with its sweettness very very nice "

"Thank you so much for your support. I reciaved you package after work last night and i love the cds and the little dino was cute. I am so very thankfull. My roommates and i love the cds. we listened to them all last night. It was great. Keep in touch and take care."

"Hey you guys!! I finally got what you sent! I loved the CD'S !!! They were great and I especially liked how you re did "Building a Mystery" Oh, it was sooo good..... Thank you... Although, I was confused about the dinosaur and Ernie? Bert?? LOL.. Ok, thank you! You guys rock.. I will try to get you somthing cool in the mail...Maybe some of my unit patches or somthing! Thanks again!!!

Kodi Lee"


"Hi Y'all!
I wanted to tell you that I received your package today. The music is awesome, and we already have it playing over the speakers for the troops to hear!! The dino. was BAD ASS!! It brought a smile to my face. I have named him Flakes! Y'all are great. The troops will know all about you guys.

Talk to you soon
JESS"


Sure it cost some dough. But in exchange, we get our stickers placed in some exotic places (other than the usual bathroom walls of clubs and whatnot) and we score a few fans to boot. We even got one of them to star in one of our videos via webcam!

Remember, those folks are fighting and dying. So, showing them some support is the least we can do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This an admirable and genuine good deed. Kudos to you guys. J out...

Netvalar said...

I love the creativity involved in doing this and it is sooo something that many of those soldiers needed obviously from the response you got

Anonymous said...

I have family over there, 3 cousins, and I know they love getting anything form home. I have been a long time fan, but what you guys did for them makes me LOVE YOU GUYS LIKE CRAZY!!!
Michi in Cincinnati